In The United States, we are entering the Thanksgiving season. Times are difficult, but you still have much to be thankful for – your spouse, children, grandchildren, your health, your job, or even food on the table. Even if you have none of those things, you have life and the opportunity to grow and to change. That is a the greatest blessing of all and everyone has that.
Here are five simple principles of gratitude that help you achieve it.
- Acceptance – we may not always like the way things are. We may want to change them. Acceptance is not acquiesence. However, to feel gratitude, we must learn to accept what is in this moment. It does not mean giving up on the change we hope to create, but rather surrendering to what is at this moment.
- Appreciation – we experience more gratitude when we take the time to more fully appreciate the people around us and the many blessings that come into our lives. If you feel a lack of gratitude, things to be thankful for are right there for the remembering. (58 Things to be Thankful For)
- Giving Back – we often feel gratitude when we receive. However, the reciprocal nature of giving and receiving promises that the more we give the more we will receive. By giving, we are setting ourselves up for more opportunities for gratitude in our lives.
- Honesty – gratitude is definitely one of the most sincere, authentic emotions we can experience. There is nothing phony or contrived about true gratitude. It is a feeling of connection and genuine love for our time here on Earth.
- Happiness – Happiness and gratitude are inseparable twins. It’s almost impossible to be happy without a sense of gratitude and certainly gratitude breeds happiness. If you want to feel more gratitude, be more happy. If you want to be happier, try a little more gratitude.
I recently wrote and recorded three gratitude affirmations and posted them to my website.These affirmations are written to help you remember to be thankful for the wonderful things in your life.
Click Gratitude Affirmations to view the text of these affirmations, hear excerpts, or download them in mp3 format.
Stay inspired and be thankful!