Thought for Today
“In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.”
~ Charles De Gaulle
Over the past several days, I have had several people share with me how tired they are of this political season. Few things in American life expose us to more negativism and leave us feeling more slimy than political campaign ads. It seems there is little many of these politicians won’t do or say in their thirst to rule over the rest of us.
Make no mistake, Charles De Gaulle had it right. Politicians speak of themselves as servants, but think of themselves as masters. They believe they know what is best for the rest of us and – right, left, Democrat, Republican – they seek to impose their wills upon the people rather than allowing the peoples’ collective wisdom guide them.
Worse yet, the system has produced generations of either/or thinkers caught in a hopeless ping pong match between two parties whose clever branding keeps people believing that political salvation lies just beyond electing “my party” to power one more time – this is the time. I know it is. It must be.
This self-perpetuating system locks out voices not deemed “mainstream” (i.e. linked to one of the two parties). Disempowers people by convincing them that there are only two choices – vote for “the lesser of two evils” or drop out of the system completely.
Millions torture their minds daily with visions of the horrors that will befall the nation if that other – evil – party is allowed to have power. They are exhorted by talking heads – radio and TV – who pose as bringers of news and information, but are simply party mouthpieces conducting daily revivals for the party faithful. They whip up the fear, whip up the doubt, whip up the division.
My friends, this blog is about empowering you and me and empowering our minds. That is my commitment to you. Many times that comes in the form of affirmations or feel good stories, but there are times when the hard issues must be dealt with and I will not avoid them. Our minds have been enslaved by these two parties to believe there is no other way to the future, but through them.
The time has come to stop giving your power to personalities and political parties and begin again to claim it for yourself and for each other. We have been divided and conquered by this political class and it is high time that we unite take our power back. We must stop waiting on heroes and realize that we are the heroes.
I hope these affirmations will help to re-engage a healthy independence and skepticism of the powers that be. I hope they will help to re-energize your thinking and bring you back to that calm political center where sound decisions and reasonable dialogue can take place. Vote your conscience next week. Vote for yourselves and your families. Don’t vote based on “Tastes Great” vs. “Less filling”.
The time is now to take back our thinking and take back our power. Select the political affirmations and truisms below that resonate with you and keep them near you this political season.
- One awakened mind begins a revolution. Many awakened minds begins an evolution.
- Until we question our beliefs, we are simply the product of someone else’s programming.
- I am a free human being empowered to share this Earth peacefully with all of existence!
- I believe in humanity. I believe in our potential. I believe our best days lie ahead!
- We are exiting a era marked by fear and disempowerment and entering an era of awakening and possibility.
- The status quo is a powerful drug, but every day is a rehab of new possibilities.
- I have the right to support the troops and oppose needless wars at the same time!
- I have the right to speak my mind as a free human being even when it is against the prevailing trends!
- Sometimes status quo can seem permanent. Just remember that every status quo replaced a previous one because of determined people.
- Regardless of my party affiliation, I intend to hold elected officials of both parties accountable.
- Fear is the greatest weapon of the status quo. An open, empowered mind is your way beyond that fear.
- Today I unchain my mind and walk consciously into the light of freedom.
- I am not left. I am not right. I am awake!
- I don’t believe in blue states or red states. I believe in empowered states of mind.
- When institutions fail to serve the people the people should cease serving the institutions.
- Where ever tyranny chains hearts, I am the loudest voice for freedom!
- I reject war, torture, terrorism, or dogma as solutions to humanity’s disputes. The needed change lives within us!
- Society can chain your hands and feet, but only you can unchain your mind.
- I demand leaders who take my interests to heart. When they don’t they lose my vote.
- I believe in restoring a political environment where WHAT is right supersedes WHO is right!
- I refuse to participate in being divided and ruled as “Us” vs. “Them”.
- I seek a politics of common ground rather than one of battle ground.
- My life and my thoughts are my responsibility. I will never cede them to government, media, or any other institution.
- Tolerance only for those who agree with me is no tolerance at all. Today and always I am tolerant.
- I believe in empowered people not empowered institutions. Empowering institutions is poor substitute for empowering ourselves.
- The time has come for peace on this planet and leaders who cannot lead us there are not fit to lead!
- The peoples of this planet want peace, prosperity, and happiness. It’s time now to have leaders who are aligned with that desire.
- If being controversial shakes up the status quo, then I will shake, shake away!
- I refuse to be divided against my neighbors for the empowerment of the political class.
- I select my leaders carefully. I do not respond to fear. A leader seeking power through fear reaches for tyranny next.
- Fear – imposed from within or without – is mental tyranny. Beware of leaders who constantly inject you with it to support their agendas.
- Group-think is one step away from not thinking at all. You’re an individual. Think for yourself.
- Status quos were made to be broken.
- Real truth and real love never have to hire fear as their salesperson.
- We can live in the sunshine of our hopes or the shadow of our fears. We must select leaders who are sun-bringers.
- This world can run on fear and hatred or love and compassion. We must choose the planet/nation we want.
- Freedom is purely and simply oxygen to anyone seeking self-development, achievement, success, or enlightenment.
- The powerful have always sought to control humanity through fear. Empowered thinkers look beyond fear to truth.
- Fear closes minds. Love opens them.
- Everything enters the realm of possibility when you release the power of the status quo. Break its chains! Escape its gravity!
- I have the freedom to explore my existence and its meaning on my own terms.
- I am constantly unbuilding the box they would build around me. Freedom is my destiny!
- Today I empower myself to think outside boxes and push my paradigms!
- In the political history of humanity, freedom is simply tyranny contained. Those who wish to be free and empowered do well to remember it.
- Our thoughts create our world. If six billion people on this planet demanded peace, justice, or freedom we would have it immediately.
- I am a free human being empowered to reject tyranny and oppression in all its guises.
- Even Stalin allowed people freedom to agree with him. The real test of a nation’s commitment to freedom is how it tolerates dissent.
- Freedom persists only where populations are informed. “Us” and “Them” are tyranny’s two favorite constituencies.
- The freedom to think, act, express, dream, change, and simply be are are prerequisites for human dignity and happiness. They are non-negotiable.
- Giving freedom to others is about looking at the world through enlightened self-interest rather than dogma or fear.
- Let us create a world where kindness is seen as strength and violence is seen as failure.
- Tyranny always comes bundled in a thousand good reasons, but not one good one.
- Modern tyrants are more sophisticated. They don’t put tanks on the streets they place chains on the mind.
Thank you for sharing this page with a friend.